Register now
Forgotten password

Transferring a property to a new owner (Changing the proprietors names on the register)

In view of the complexities of the law you may wish to seek legal advice from a solicitor!

If the title is not registered it will have to be to transfer it. As long as the property is registered to transfer the property you will need to complete Land Registry forms TR1 and ID1 for each party to the transaction and a Land Registry form AP1. Land Registry forms are available on HM Land Registry website:

TR1 (Transfer of whole of registered title(s))

ID1 (Certificate of identity for a private individual)

AP1 (Application to change the register)

Once completed the forms must be sent to the appropriate Land Registry office for your area together with the appropriate fee and any Stamp Duty Land Tax requirements. You can find out which office is dealing with your area by Land Registry office finder on www1.landregistry.gov.uk/regional

Stamp Duty Land Tax evidence is not required if the consideration expressed in the transfer is less than £40,000. This includes deeds of gift. Further information regarding Stamp Duty Land Tax is available from Inland Revenue on www.hmrc.gov.uk/sdlt/index.htm

Land Registry Practice Guide 21 contains information on Using transfer forms for less straightforward transactions: www1.landregistry.gov.uk/assets/library/documents/lrpg021.pdf

These pages are provided for information purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. Professional legal advice should be obtained before taking or refraining from taking any action as a result of the contents of this website.

Copyright © 2009-2015 LandRegistryService.co.uk - Provided by Land Search Service Limited, a company registered in England and Wales under company number 6974872.
LandRegistryService.co.uk is an independent Land Registry online search portal. We search the Land Registry for title deeds, plans and other documents.
We are not operated by HM Land Registry nor Registers of Scotland. VAT No: 111 0632 81.